Exquisite strikes from Miller and Davies earn ten-man Hamilton a point

It was the same old story for Hamilton this weekend as they threw away a two goal lead against Kilmarnock.

Accies started wonderfully and found themselves 2-0 up after 25 minutes, through two beautiful strikes from Mickel Miller and Steve Davies, but once again poor discipline saw Brian Rice’s side receive their fifth red card of the season as Sam Stubbs was sent off after 29 minutes.

Kilmarnock took advantage of having an extra man as the Ayrshire side scored on either side of half-time with Mohammad El Makrini and Eamon Brophy both scoring.


Angelo Alessio, who was voted as last months manager of the month, made three changes from the injury-hit side that lost 3-0 at Aberdeen last weekend as Alex Bruce, Mohammad El Makrini and Dario Del Fabro all started while Iain Wilson, Chris Burke and Liam Miller dropped out.

Accies made two changes from their home draw against Ross County as Johnny Hunt replaced the suspended Scott Martin and Steve Davies replaced Ross Cunningham.


Hamilton couldn’t have dreamed of a better start as they took the lead after just two minutes, when Mickel Miller picked up the ball up 30 yards from goal and fired a thunderbolt into the bottom left-hand corner.  A goal of the month contender for sure.

The visitors doubled their advantage on the 25th minute when George Oakley flicked the ball onto Steve Davies and the Liverpudlian’s powerful effort from outside the box flew by Branescu.

After dominating the opening half-hour, the game was turned on its head as Sam Stubbs was sent off by referee Gavin Duncan, as he was judged to have brought down Eamon Brophy and was denying a goal scoring opportunity.

Despite Killie having the man advantage, they were still struggling to get by Hamilton and pose any sort of threat. In fact Hamilton nearly made it three-nil when a defence-splitting pass from Lewis Smith saw him play in Johnny Hunt, who’s effort was saved by the legs of Branescu.

Just as half-time was approaching, Kilmarnock pulled back a goal out of absolutely no where as an ambitious strike at goal by El Makrini was fumbled by Owain Fon-Williams and ended up in the back of the net.

Half-Time- Kilmarnock 1-2 Hamilton

The chat amongst the Hamilton fans at half-time, was about how much of a killer blow that goal before the break could be, as the home side will have got a huge boost and without a doubt will come out all guns blazing in the second-half.

The fans were correct as the home side came out flying and equalised within four minutes of the re-start when a Dom Thomas corner found Gary Dicker at the back-post and the midfielder done immensely well to redirect his header back across goal to Brophy, and the former Accies man smashed his volley into the roof of the net.

Hamilton did have another chance to regain the lead on the 52nd minute when a corner from Miller found Smith all by himself on the penalty spot, but the teenager could only guide his header over the bar.

The home side were pushing for a third and created a couple of opportunities in quick succession. Firstly when Brophy’s snapshot was well saved by Fon-Williams, and then secondly when a cross from the right found Rory McKenzie, and his sweetly struck volley was tipped around the post.

The final opportunity of the afternoon arrived on the 87th minute, when Alan Power’s forceful strike was spilled by Fon-Williams, but the Welshman reacted quickly to gather the second attempt.

Full Time- Kilmarnock 2-2 Hamilton 

Kilmarnock manager Angelo Alessio: “I’m angry because we could’ve done better. We conceded two easy goals and played 60 minutes with 11 against 10. A lot of mistakes were made. I feel like we lost two points.”

Hamilton manager Brian Rice: “We seem to be getting players sent off all the time, and it’s not for malicious things, it’s wee things. It’s something we need to look at and address, but it doesn’t take away from the spirit and the will power of the boys not to get beat.”


My Opinion

Saturday was a strange one. At half-time it would have felt like two points dropped, but at full-time it felt like a point gained. We were 2-0 up though two fantastic finishes by Miller and Davies before our awful discipline continued and we were reduced to ten men for the fifth time this season. We defended well for the rest of the half and looked to be seeing out the 2-0 lead until Fon-Williams has made another howler and let Kilmarnock right back into it.  That gave Killie the boost they needed and they scored just after half-time and now it looked as if we were going to get beat, however we fought until the end and got a point, which was the least  we deserved in my opinion.


Kilmarnock XI

Branescu, O’Donnell, Del Fabro, Bruce(42), Hamalainan, Dicker, Power, McKenzie(77), Thomas(69), El Makrini, Brophy

Subs- Koprivec, Hendrie, Wilson, St Clair, Burke(69), Miilar(77), Jackson(42)


Hamilton XI

Williams, Want, Hamilton, Stubbs, McMann, Gogic, Millar, Hunt, Smith(86), Oakley(75), Davies(31)

Subs- Southwood, Fjortoft(86), Mimnaugh, MacKinnon(31),  Beck, Cunningham, Moyo(75)


Referee- Gavin Duncan

Assistants- Kylie Cockburn & Gordon Crawford

Fourth Official- Greg Aitken

Attendance- (5,045( 189 Away)

Goals- Miller(2), Davies(25), El Makrini(45), Brophy(49)

Yellow Cards- Brophy(38), MacKinnon(43), Fon-Williams(90)

Red Cards- Stubbs(29)









Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.