Derby day disaster for abysmal Accies

motherwell away 09-03-18.jpg

Saturday was the third Lanarkshire derby of the season with it currently being tied one apiece so far this season. Accies won the first early in the season 1-0, with Steven Boyd scoring a screamer after just coming on the park.  The second derby was In December. Accies took the lead through  Dougie Imrie but switched off at two set-pieces allowing Tom Aldred to score a double to steal all three points for Robinsons me. A lot was at stake at the weekend.

Motherwell came into Saturdays fixture on fine form, with the North Lanarkshire side losing just one of their last eight league games, which came against Celtic at Parkhead.

Accies came into Saturdays game after a quite remarkable win against Aberdeen at Pittodrie, where Hamilton ran out 2-0 winners thanks to a goal of the season contender by George Oakley which was  followed by a Mickel Miller tap-in, sending the die-hard travelling fans home absolutely delighted.

Team News

Motherwell made no changes from the side that drew 0-0 with Kilmarnock at Rugby Park in their last game

Brian Rice made one change from the victory over Aberdeen with Aaron McGowan being dropped to the bench, which did come as a huge shock to all Accies fans. Matt Kilgallon came back in to join Delphin Tshiembe at centre-back and this allowed Ziggy Gordon to move to right-back.

Match Report

The Lanarkshire derby got underway and the home side started much better of the two sides, with Accies really slacking. After just two minutes the hosts took the lead. A terrible start for the visitors. A long ball was flicked on by Curtis Main to Gboly Ariyibi out wide. The winger left Ziggy Gordon for dead as he easily beat him down the wing before cutting it back to David Turnbull to tap home into the net from six-yards out.

Things just continued to get worse for Accies, as Well were awarded a penalty on the 11th minute. Ariyibi was proving to be a complete nightmare to defend against. A slick one-two between Main and the American led to Alex Gogic fouling and giving Andrew Dallas no other option than to point to the spot.  David Turnbull stepped up and sent Gary Woods the wrong way to score his second and make it Motherwell 2-0 Hamilton.  The second goal set the tone for the game, with Accies falling apart to be honest which brought back some grim memories. The two early goals ruined the game for a neutral or an Accies fan. The game was beginning to die already and we had hardly played 15 minutes.

The next chance came on the 30th minute, when Jake Hastie cut in from the right-hand side and curled an effort at goal which was beaten away by Woods. Ariyibi was continuing to terrorise the Accies defence when a smart stepover took him by Gordon before racing into the box and firing straight at the Hamilton keeper.

It was 3-0 minutes later. Hastie skinned Lenny Sowah down the left wing before playing the ball across goal. The ball found Turnbull, who made a mess of his shot but it luckily fell right in front of Hastie, who had the easiest of finishes from close range. Turnbull almost had his hat-rick just before the interval when a cross from Liam Grimshaw found the Motherwell youngster, who headed over from point-blank range.

It was an embarrassment to be completely honest and it was no surprise to see fans head for the exit at the break. We had no width and we were exposed on the wings with Motherwell’s best three players all causing us so many problems.

Half Time- Motherwell 3-0 Hamilton

The second half surely couldn’t be worse than the first. I knew Rice would give the boys a good lecture at the interval just like the Rangers game.

Accies made one change at the break with Gogic coming off and James Keating’s coming on. It was probably a smart idea to take the midfielder off with him already being booked.

Accies first effort of the game came from the substitute as he picked up the ball before driving at goal and firing an effort just wide. Curtis Main should have made it four after 49 minutes when Kilgallon’s clearance hit straight of the striker and sent him clean through on goal but he lost his balance under pressure and pulled his effort wide.

It was a quite boring second half, with the visitors just trying to keep it at three while Motherwell continued to make it even more of a rout. The Fir Park side had numerous opportunity’s to add to the score line but misses from Main and a effort from close range which was skied over the bar by Ariyibi, who more than certainly deserved a goal meant that it  finished in the Lanarkshire Derby, Motherwell 3-0 Hamilton.

Full Time- Motherwell 3-0 Hamilton 


Motherwell XI

Gillespe, Aldred, Dunne, Tait, Campbell, Rodriguez(68), Turnbull, Hastie(66), Main(75), Ariyibi

Subs- Ferguson, Hartley, McHugh(68), Johnson(75), Donnelly, Frear(66), Scott


Hamilton XI

Woods, Gordon, Tshiembe, Kilgallon, Sowah, Martin, Gogic(46), Mackinnon, Andreu, Miller(82),Oakley

Subs- Marsden, Penny, McGowan, Mimnaugh, McMillan, Boyd(82), Keating’s(46)


Referee- Andrew Dallas

Assistants-  Andrew McWilliam & Paul O’Neill

Fourth Official- Gavin Duncan

Attendance- 5,248(553 Away)

Goals- Turnbull(2, 11), Hastie(38)

Yellow Cards- Gogic(38), Rodgriguez(54, Keating’s(56), Sowah(61), Johnson(90), Kilgallon(90)

Red Cards- 0







Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.