Amazing Accies Annihilate Dreadful Saints

accies v st mirrenAfter last Saturdays horror show at Almondvale against Livingston, where Accies failed to have a shot on target. Hamilton returned to home turf at the Hope CBD Stadium in what was a must win match against fellow relegation rivals, St Mirren. The visitors had a good start to the season, winning their opening game against Dundee, but the Saints went on to lose 4 games in a row with heavy defeats against Aberdeen, Hearts, Rangers and a home defeat against Livingston. It resulted in the Alan Stubbs losing his job as St Mirren manager after just 5 league games in charge after replacing Jack Ross in the summer. After a few names were thrown into the hat to take over from Stubbs, the job was surprisingly given to Northern Irish side, Coleraine boss, Oran Keraney. The Northern Irishman had probably the toughest fixture possible in his first game of charge, when Saints faced last seasons champions, Celtic, at The Simple Digital Arena last Friday night. However, the Paisley side picked up an amazing point but were massively helped  by Oliver Ntcham being sent off very early on for the away side. Saints fans certainly turned up in numbers in Hamilton on Saturday with big expectations from their side.


Hamilton changed there formation after last weeks loss at Livingston, they reverted from a 5 at the back to a 4-2-3-1, bringing in Aaron McGowan at Right back, Shuan Want at Centre back, Dougie Imrie at Left Attacking Midfield and finally, Steven Boyd was given a start in behind Fredrik Brustad up-front.

Visiting manager, Oran Keraney opted to stick with the same formation (4-2-3-1) that brought him success as his first game in charge of the Buddies. However, their was 2 changes for the Saints with Hayden Coulson replacing Kyle Magennis in midfield and Cameron MacPherson dropped into centre back in place of Jack Baird who pulled up with an injury during the warm up.



After a 10 minute delay to kick off in Hamilton due to a false fire alarm, the away side eventually got the game underway. Both teams took a little time to find their feet with an uneventful first 10 minutes. After 10 minutes the game burst into life. Accies nearly took  the lead on the 11th minute in bizarre fashion, when a corner from Dougie Imrie, went right across the 6 yard box and fell to Shaun Want, who didn’t know much about it, before it hit his chest and was tipped over the bar by Samson for a corner. Any decent contact from the Hamilton centre-back and it was most likely the opening goal. The Buddies were next side to have a good chance. A throw-in led to some nice one-two football from Cameron Smith and Ryan Flynn, Flynn’s goal bound effort was blocked brilliant by Shaun Want. The deadlock was broken on the 36th minute and it was Accies who took the lead. A quick break away led to Miller breaking free, before sliding the ball into Boyd, who’s initial effort was saved well by Samson, but Fredrik Brustad was there to bundle home the rebound and net his first goal for Hamilton on his second appearance. After the opening goal, its fair to say the Paisley side just folded. 5 minutes before the interval, the hosts had a chance to double their lead from the penalty spot after a lovely flick by Steven Boyd found Dougie Imrie, before the Accies number 7 was fouled naively  by Jordan Kirkpatrick. Mickel Miler stepped and fired the ball home from 12 yards, past the unlucky Samson who did get a glove on it.


Hamilton got the second half underway, in what was a poor second half with very little chances. It looked like St Mirren had the stuffing knocked out them with the quick fire goals from Accies before the break. Brustad nearly doubled his tally on the 50th minute when a low drive from Scott McMann found the Norwegian, but his smart flick just went over the crossbar.  Rakish Bingham came on for Brustad after 55 minutes and had a chance to grab a goal from a free kick after he was fouled by Anton Ferdinand. His set piece was curled just over. If their was ever any doubt about Accies sealing the 3 points, their certainly wasn’t after 66 minutes when Miller made it 3-0. A clearance from Ferdinand was met by Scott Martin, his header found Miller, who picked up the loose ball before driving and firing a shot at goal that came off both posts but eventually found its way over the line. 10 minutes after the match winning goal, Hamilton nearly made it 4-0. Once again, Miller slid in Boyd, but unfortunately for him his effort came crashing off the bar. Hamilton saw out the game full of confidence in what was the probably the easiest game they will have this season.




Woods, McGowan, McMann, Kilgallon, Want, Imrie, Mackinnon(43), Martin(74), Miller, Boyd, Brustad(55)


Fulton, Gordon, Tshiembe(74), Bingham(55), Taiwo(43), Kelly, Keatings



Samson, MacPherson, McGinn, Ferdinand, Hodson, McGinn, Flynn, Edwards, Smith(62), Coulson(31), Mullen(85)


Muir, Breadner, Erhahon, Jones, Willock(85), Kirkpatrick(31), Brock-Madsen(62)









Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.